Tuesday, October 8, 2013

windows of time


Yesterday I scrolled back through my blog and concluded that reading years of blog posts is kind of like reliving a life-emotions, memories flooded in. . .
These days allocating time is like fitting life into little window panes .
My mother loved people and I remember her telling me, "You can fit lots of visits in each day: start with breakfast, then move to mid morning coffee, followed by lunch, afternoon tea and then a dinner date!" (my mother had lots of energy!)
I let her know that her suggestion wouldn't work for me- just imagine me glancing at my watch and popping up with a quick hug and bye, leaving a worthy conversation hanging, and I'd always be late, late, for a very important date.
But increasingly, as time fits into window panes, I wonder. . .

Then last week I heard my mother talking as I typed an email to a friend in another state, "I have Thursday morning available for a phone chat or if that's not good, I'm free on Friday from 12 to 1:30, will it work?"
I thought, bad-bad! I am squeezing this dear woman into a window pane of my life.
But I desperately wanted her to be there, even if the window pane was a tight fit.

Ahhh, every time I read Proverbs 2 & 3 I'm reminded that in the wisdom pursuit there's beauty and safety-
and there is an appointed time for everything, a time for every event (delight) under heaven. (Ecc 3)


1 comment:

Denise said...

If you ever have a moment open, we wouldn't mind being squeezed in. :) I can make the coffee. I have been knitting again, and I always wonder what you are working on as I shape the head of a new teddy bear...