Monday, October 28, 2013

Strong in different ways

Sunday afternoon we peddled our bicycles in Austin, around the university and state capitol; for me, peddling the hills is arduous and the traffic a little scary;  I managed alright in the well marked bike lane until John called out, "Move over- a bus is coming up behind you!"
That day I learned the rule of  the road: when in a bike lane, yield to the bus. . . (at least in downtown Austin)

My husband is sharp and sure of himself on a bicycle, on unfamiliar streets, amid traffic, and somehow he navigates me along. . . the next morning he mapped a 10 mile ride and we explored a tamer part of Austin.


But I stopped to pull out my camera. . . again to tie my shoe. . .and again to avoid a collision-
"Let's share the pumpkin bread in my basket and find coffee/hot chocolate," I suggested.

So- in the  line at Starbucks a conversation floated from behind me, "Ahh, listen to that beautiful Spanish!" I whispered to my husband.
"I can't catch it all- they're talking too fast, must be Argentinians." he whispered back.

Later we sat in an office in Austin and listened to a young man behind a desk talk about teachers retirement.

Retirement will be good, I think. . .we'll be strong in different ways.

Two are better than one. . . for if either of them falls, the one will lift up his companion. (Ecc 3: 9)



3 comments:

naomi said...

oh my goodness mom! you are so brave! (maybe after retirement you guys could bike down to MC? :) )

also - I love that picture; you are getting so good with your camera!

darcie said...

Thanks,Naomi, for the encouragement. . .and by the way, we found out that they were Spaniards from Pamplona, imagine that?

Unknown said...

yes that picture is beautiful.