Monday, March 25, 2013

and then they're grown . . .


I love her little hand cupped around his neck. . .
My boys use to wrestle in the living room- with mother authority I'd appeal, " Please! move the furniture!"
Now my sons tear into each other on mountain bikes.
God has given them sweet daughters- and that makes me smile.

One day recently one of my boys called, "Mom, do you know why my social security number was issued 3 years after I was born?
"Hmm, that's odd, is there a problem?" I sounded earnest but calm.
"It's the background check. . .they say something is fraudulent. I thought maybe you mixed up me and . . .?" 
Seriously, mixed them up?(anything is possible) Maybe I did have too may children.

John came home that day, heard me out, assuaged my fears, "That sounds right, I applied for S.S. numbers for 7 children at the same time- previously you didn't have to. . ."

Today I'm preparing a devotional for a friend's baby shower. . . what to say?
I'll tell her that sometimes she will mix things up and I'll remind her that "in the fear of the Lord there is strong confidence. . ."
I'll speak of God's amazing grace that covers and rescues and fills in all the cracks.

(And when I imagine my boys talking on the phone about how their parents maybe mixed them up- then I smile.)

1 comment:

naomi said...

when we went to renew Malachai's passport last week, they almost turned us away because on his consular report of birth abroad (his birth certificate!) I was typed in as Naomi Bethany NEWTON. ha! ten years in and it was the first time we noticed!

(and I only have three :) )