Wednesday, March 13, 2013

Counseling myself

I walked along the river this morning- alone,  glad for an almost empty day to read and write, to talk very little, to mentally review the past week . . .to counsel myself.


A few weeks ago I shared  a devotional at a baby shower in the morning and again for a bridal shower in the afternoon- on the same day.
So, in the morning I urged Gina to Trust the Lord with all your heart and do not lean on your own understanding!
When a mother trusts herself rather than God, fear captures her heart; she's tempted to control her children with a death grip- (then I told Gina about the grip in my heart when Rachel was about 9 and I let her choose her own shoes.)

And in the afternoon I urged Anna to Trust in the Lord and do good, dwell in the land and cultivate faithfulness!"
Marriage is awesome-but two sinners say "I do" and future unknowns tempt a wife's heart to fear, to control her husband rather than to help him.(then I told Anna that when I was growing up, cars never broke down. . . and how months into our marriage I discovered a Fiat engine on the floor of our garage.)

Recently John and I had a serious discussion about his imminent retirement, about our future plans, concerns, questions. 
"I think I'm struggling with fear and I want to control you!" I admitted to my husband.
Then all the teaching that I had prepared, prayed, shared, came flooding in and pressed upon my  heart.

So, today and tomorrow I step back behind my own words and counsel myself.


2 comments:

Denise said...

Thank you for sharing this. I have a "day off" this coming Monday, and now I am encouraged to do more than check off my "to-do" list...

Unknown said...

not to make light of this, but when you are tempted to worry about the future, remember we have a shed in the back just waiting for some occupants...:)