Thursday, September 13, 2012

just thinking. . .

 This week I gave a devotional for the first day of women's Bible study.  I was told that I could talk about whatever my little heart desired. . . .
Come and hear all who fear God and I will tell of what He has done for my soul. (Ps 66:16)
So-I talked about Mexico. . . .
But first I reviewed the narrative in Joshua 3 and 4- you know, when God parted the Jordan River and the nation of Israel crossed the river bed on dry land--(no mud),  how 12 men crossed back into the dry river, carrying stones on their shoulders, and then how Joshua set up the stones at Gilgal as a memorial for their children. . . .
Why?
"so that the people of the earth may know that the hand of the Lord is mighty and so that you may fear the Lord." (Josh 4:24)
Then I told them that we all have memorial stones to God's work in our lives- He tells us to set them up, to remember who He is (mighty) and what he requires of us (awe).

I told the women,"thinking  Mexico. . .I have 3 memorial stones to set up-and I gave them names!" 
First I gave my memorial stones some context. . . I shared some background about John and me in Mexico, about Naomi and Joshua and their children in Mexico City. I drew a little map for them in the air: Chignajuapan, (over the mountain) Aquixtla, (down the canyon) Tetela, (down, down) Cuautempan.  I told them that we hadn't visited people and places in 20 years and I wondered - What should I expect?
And as I shared all of this and more, I realized something about John and me. . .we had different expectations for our visit to the mountain villages-
My husband went there expecting to ferret out every single person he had ever met, ever eaten a taco with, ever shared the gospel with. . . . and me?  well, I went there anticipating but cautious, and perhaps a little apprehensive about what I would find there.
So, I'll just say-God is mighty and I stand in awe of Him. And I'm very glad that sometimes when I am cautious, my husband is not. . . .


1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Darcie,
I always enjoy your posts.
And, what a great picture!
Your family takes such good pictures!
Donna