Monday, September 24, 2012

a familiar road

So- that day in Aquixtla we visited with don Beto in the middle of corn and bean fields; he told the children about planting, irrigating, harvesting, storing up-  and Selma declared that she would stay and work with the ladies shelling beans, stay there forever.
Then Beto invited us to his home; we walked about half a mile down a familiar road-our children use to walk the same path from home to the kinder school and home again .
The road  reminded me of a time when I worried about my children's safety- prudent watchfulness grew into irrational, sinful fear; irrigation ponds bordered the road, and there were animals, maybe strangers and more-my persistent anxiety wasn't limited to that road . . . .
That's a sad memory for me-but God redeems such memories. I'm grateful.
So, circumstances have changed- my children grew up; they've lived and served all over the world.
but mainly, I have changed. . .
day after day I remind myself that my King is on the throne and his sovereignty rules over all; his lovingkindness is certain and everlasting.  He poured out his blood on the cross for me-I can trust him with the unknown.
And today I remind myself. . .
Cast all your anxiety on him because e cares for you (1 Pet 5:7)

No comments: