Monday, July 16, 2012

assistant to the chef. . .

We stayed a week in Bowling Green with Brett and Rachel- enjoyed a picnic on the Maumee River,  blueberry picking in Michigan, and we cuddled Ivan. We cooked and invited people in to eat, baked and invited people over for coffee-Rachel was the executive chef and I- the assistant. . .
Every morning Rachel tried a new scone recipe and  on the last day,muffins-I love these muffins, the combination of tart cranberries, browned butter and zesty lime is exquisite!
I'm not baking much at home these days; maybe somebody could make this recipe and invite me over for coffee?

browned butter cranberry lime muffins
(makes 12 muffins)

7 tablespoons butter
1/3 cup whole milk
1 egg
1 egg yolk
1 tsp vanilla
zest of 1 lime
1 1/2 cups flour
3/4 cup sugar
1 1/2 tsp baking powder
3/4 tsp salt
1 1/2 cup fresh or frozen cranberries, halved
1/4 cup granulated sugar (topping)

So. . .melt the butter over medium heat; cook til brown bits appear, crackling will lessen and butter will brown. remove from heat.
Combine the first 6 ingredients and whisk in the butter.
Combine dry ingredients with butter mixture and gently fold in cranberries.
Divide into greased or lined muffin tins and sprinkle with sugar before baking at 350 for 15-20 min.
(thanks Joy the baker!)


2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Yummy!!! I wish I was there! Ok I will try and you are invited! Good to hear you are having a wonderful time with your family.
You are missed in the south! Patricia.

Elizabeth {the Path Less Traveled} said...

ooo, these look really good! now I just need to see if I have any cranberries left - hope so : )