Friday, July 20, 2012

a boy in Ohio-just like mine

This post has no picture-- but there's one in my mind. . .
Six year old Caleb, blonde with a dimple in his chin, chatters brightly at the 6:30 breakfast table; he bites into a huge nectarine, juice squirting out, running down. . . then he talks.

Last week we left Brett and Rachel in Bowling Green and drove a few hours to  Jeremy and Sarah's house for the night.  We've known Jeremy since he was 6; we met Sarah  during their college days, celebrated their wedding--now they're parents of three sweet children. . .we're old enough to enjoy the panorama.
After lunch Caleb announced, "Including you, my mom will feed 8 people for dinner tonight!" (sweet boy)
The men and children played at the park and Sarah and I made spinach mushroom lasagna together in her little kitchen-plenty of time for girl talk
Were you ever fearful of  childbirth pain? (yes!) 
Were you ever fearful that your children would reject Jesus? (yes, yes!)
I love this woman--and her honest questions.
Later I followed Caleb around with my camera-no pictures. Caleb talked.
After dinner and stories, the children slept; Sarah and Jeremy asked, "What did it look like when you discipled your children?"
I think we bumbled through the answer.
But in my mind I see Caleb, biting into that nectarine, juice running down his chin, taking a breath- to talk; his dear parents remind him to listen too-that's good.
(And today I'm remembering that I had a boy just like Caleb. . .)

1 comment:

naomi said...

hmmm . . I think that Caleb is a lot like one of my boys too!

(and I want to have humble, teachable hearts like those
sweet Mollenkopfs!!)