Wednesday, June 6, 2012

as stimulating as black coffee. . .

  Good communication is just as stimulating as black coffee and just as hard to sleep after
(Anne Morrow Lindbergh)
The girls were in town last month and we visited with lots of nice people.
I love good conversation (then I can't sleep). . . there's a rhythm of  talk, pauses, questions- of listening, responding and restraint. I want get to know you, a person created in the image of the great Creator!
One day I was a frustrated observer as I listened to someone hog conversation.
 But it always comes right back to me. . . how do I communicate?
I love to ask: tell me about yourself!  but I don't always do the pauses well. 
And maybe I  fiendishly drive the conversation--or  ask a question, hoping that you will ask me one in return?
 I explained all this to my husband; he attempted to appease my frustration, "So, good communication is when you invite somebody in. . .then you give them space to invite you in too?" 
hmmm, that's good, it goes both ways, the inviting part. . .

3 comments:

Dawn said...

I struggle with pauses, too.
We have no problem with LOTS of conversation when we meet, yes?
:D

Denise said...

I love the quote! I find that so totally true also! I would love to share some coffee and conversation with you sometime soon!

menewton said...

this blog post resonates with me. The other night i had a conversation that looked just as you described. it left me a bit unsettled and overwhelmed.

BUT i think that sometimes the most stimulating conversations leave us with more questions than before - as the invitation to enter into an ongoing dialogue about life and leaves room for continual growth together - a great thing, don't you think?

so thanks for this post...and for the record, you are one of the best question-askers i know. :)