Tuesday, December 14, 2010

Lavish Forgiveness-9 (Pitfalls & Provisions)

Vengeance. . .a deep pitfall to forgiveness. The Bible forbids it, you know. "Never pay back evil for evil to anyone, never take your own revenge" (Rom 12:17,19)
We know of situations of great violence in which a person is tempted to consider vengeance. But, admit it, you and I dabble. . .we are tempted to cultivate a garden variety of revenge; for instance, we feel entitled to a little payback when we are hurt. So-what might the garden variety look like?
-a dear friend prefers company of another friend. . .you pull away, are cool, aloof to your friend.
-your son or daughter marries and seems to spend more time with the new family. . .you talk about your hurt with a friend.
-you witness a loved one treated wrongfully. . .you take up an offense and tell others about the injustice.
-you think, "he or she doesn't make time for me. . .so I won't make time for her."
-he criticizes my cooking. . .next time I'll put too much salt in the soup!
Remember, soul, a refusal to forgive is a decision for vengeance-think about last week, is the Holy Spirit convicting you of a time when you took revenge?
But God has made provision-even when we dabble. . .so, remember:
1. the Gospel! think on Jesus, our provision; our Savior didn't deserve death but was lead as a lamb to the slaughter (Is 53:7). Forgiveness filled His heart, not revenge.
2. God's instruction to proactively show love, if our enemy is hungry, feed him! rather than brooding about how you can repay, plan a loving response; our thoughts and actions should be driven by mercy, "Mercy triumphs over judgment" (Jam 2:13-I love this truth!)
3. Justice will come. . . our God embodies both mercy and justice; remember, God will settle accounts with our offenders, we don't have to. In Romans 12 God reminds me, "leave room for Me to work!!"
hmmm, as I format and type this post, my own heart is pierced-Lord, help me to be obsessed with forgiveness, not even dabbling in vengeance.
A worthy pursuit. . .

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Thank you, Darcie, for this post. Hmm, yes there are areas where this hits home.
Vicki S

Unknown said...

Darcie,
How timely that I should stumble across your blog! This encouraged my heart so much today. Debbie