Thursday, July 1, 2010

kitchen observations

Naomi's kitchen in Spain
So, Rachel and Naomi, have been cooking together in Naomi's kitchen in Spain for 6 years- this summer they're hanging out in my kitchen.
I heard them say, "Can you believe it? Mom has a toaster. . . and a rice cooker!"
I imagine they remember my aversion to extra machines in the kitchen, machines that take up space (and always break!)
but my new kitchen gadgets have stories. . .
So-my friend, Caroline, makes great rice-and I've told her so; a few years ago Caroline found me a rice cooker at a garage sale, one just like her's; now as I make rice the easy way, I think about Caroline.
when my friend, Pam, came to San Antonio, we made toast together in the broiler part of my oven-we both love hot tea with toast and marmelade. Pam returned to California and next I received a package in the mail-a small white toaster, just the size to fit in a squishy little space in my kitchen; now I make perfect toast almost every day-and I think about Pam.
A good story -and thoughts of sweet friends-legitimize the keeping, don't you think?

2 comments:

Unknown said...

It reminds me of my huge-mungous (a Mercy word?) griddle that my parents bought me a long time ago, to help me through the huge-mungous Newton family visits! And I used it twice this week, and I still think about my parents gift!

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.