Wednesday, July 7, 2010

Boys and Books

Our grandchildren are visting- they all love books!
And I love to watch them-purusing the shelves, examining the covers, touching the pages, drinking up the words.
Malachai and Josu are visiting from Spain-mmmm, boys are different than girls. . .the grandaughters have never attempted to scale the bookshelves-one day I discovered Josu (4 years) at the top of a tall narrow one, plucking off a good read.
And the boys have their own favorites-for an entire week Malachai (7 yrs) was deep into Aesop's Fables.
I chose Misty of Chincoteaque (Maurgarete Henry) for our read aloud days-some horse terminology needs explanation, but the engaging story, illustrations, and writing all combine for a wonderful read aloud; almost every day after 1 or 2 chapters, Malachai appealed for 1 or 2 more, and I would beg off -tired voice. . .
"I can keep reading!" he would announce.
Then I would explain the reading rules at 2305, "I read, you listen"-that's the way it's been forever. . .
And our grandsons discovered the Tintin (Herge) collection-Jeremiah printed his name and address on the inside cover of each- tattered copies, retired from the public library, gifted to our son years ago- so, Tintin (in English and Spanish), loved by boys young and old, one generation to the next.

3 comments:

Vicki Schrauger said...

I enjoyed reading to Aaron while he was in Michigan and I'm looking forward to more times of reading with grandchildren.

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Naomi Smith said...

I loved hearing Malachai say "gran . . don't you think that today is a good day to go to the library?"