Saturday, December 5, 2009

December. . .and a worthy pursuit

So, it's December. . . time again to force narcissus bulbs indoors for that winter feeling in south Texas; again John and I chose a Christmas tree, just the two of us-he tied it on the Jetta, on the bicycle rack, nifty for bikes or trees or tents or whatever my husband imagines to tie on there.
Again we celebrated the first Sunday of advent with the dear Bisagni family, remembering how "the Word became flesh and dwelt among us and we beheld His glory. . ." Ahh, the wonder never ceases.
And again I read Papa Panov's Special Day (Tolstoy) to the children gathered- a thoughtful tale of Christmas with gospel truth.
I like the secure feeling of doing something meaningful again and again. . .don't you?
Over coffee recently, Francey and I were talking about our hearts; we encouraged each other: at any given moment in any day, who or what satisfies and delights my heart? Hmmm. . . Psalm 119, I love to read the psalmist's deep passionate heart's longing after God-to seek and know Him, to know and obey His Word. . .
Considering all the good things that crowd our December days-Francy and I decided to read Psalm 119 repeatedly this month, a worthy pursuit for December.

Your testimonies are my heritage forever, for they are the joy of my heart. I incline my heart to perform your statutes forever, to the end. (Ps 119: 11,112)

1 comment:

Elizabeth {the Path Less Traveled} said...

I love how the Christmas season reminds us of how meaningful traditions are, helps us to slow down a little and remember.
How do you force your bulbs? And when do you start to get flowers in December?