Thursday, September 24, 2009

it doesn't get much sweeter . . .

yesterday Gabrielle gave birth to our grandson, Landis Arndt. . . life doesn't get much sweeter than this- welcome to the family, little man!

. . . early yesterday morning I approached the stately entrance to University Hospital, sloshing through the rain in my trusty Dansko clogs, I felt emotion swelling up. . . suprising for me, a woman not prone to quick emotional responses.
I'm going to this place to be with my son and daughter-in-law for my grandson's birth. . .this place where my own son works everyday, caring for patients-women, babies, families-imagine that?
I passed thorugh the automated doors, massive hospital, crowds of people, found my way to elevator D, the 4th floor, labor and delivery; there in room 8, I found my family, smiling, anticipating, laboring. . .

and Gabrielle persevered in the hardest work a woman ever does-
and I was there-on the other side of the pushing (a first for me) to watch his head crown, to hear his first little noises. . .
to watch my son cut the umbilical cord-routine for him, perhaps, but this time it was his son-
to hug my sweet daughter-in-law. . .and of course, with emotion.

Grand Papi meets Landis
The Lord is good; His lovingkindness is everlasting, and His faithfulness to all generations (Psalm 100)

4 comments:

godnov said...

Congratulations! What a precious boy. He is truly blessed to have such a dear grandma!

Dawn said...

Congratulations on the safe arrival of your sweet Landis!
God is good!

alternativa cristiana said...

Congratulations mom! Your post made me think of this song (click on miracle) http://www.reneeandjeremymusic.com/mp3player-popup.php

Joshua

Unknown said...

It is true, life doesn't get much sweeter..it's interesting how the most sweet times in life require the most perseverance and effort. Thank you for being there to hold my hand (while I squeezed it to death) and rub my back. It was good to share that special time with you.