Tuesday, September 15, 2009

the day I took the bus. . .

I've been thinking about Paul's epistle to Philemon-
"I have much joy and comfort in your love, because the hearts of the saints have been refreshed through you."
hmmm. . . I want to be like Philemon, who refreshed the saints -so, how does that look in my life? Am I quick to refresh even when it means a personal inconvenience? Sometimes, Sigh. . .
But last week I had an opportunity--my friend had invited me to join her at a local restaurant to celebrate her birthday- and to celebrate the end of her 2 month house confinement with a broken leg. Indeed, I'll be there!
However, the day arrived and the Jetta's transmission was in pieces on the driveway. . .so, the dilemma (one of countless in our daily lives, right?)
John suggested the bus (the inconvenient bus). . . so the next morning at 8:15, I boldly boarded the bus a block from home along with a crowd of neighborhood highschoolers in purple and khaki uniforms, and with head phones. I put my money in the slot, A transfer, please! and I remembered this humble phrase, I don't often ride the bus, I need help!
I waited with a bus stop crowd downtown and finally boarded bus#2 with more confidence; bus #2 took me north, north, north-with help from the very kind bus driver, I got off at my destination at 10:00! Next I hiked a mile to the restaurant, which was fine (walking shoes would have been better than party shoes!)
And I was there for my friend, just in time; she was delighted-
- me too.
Will I ride the bus again? Sure, and next time perhaps I'll have conversation with the bus crowd, who knows where that may lead?
So, this post is dedicated to my lovely girls in Pamplona and London, Rachel, Naomi, and Abigail, who ride the public bus everyday. . .and refresh the saints.

4 comments:

Unknown said...

Not to mention that it was raining that day! And then to add that you also refreshed your family (us) by completing your day by walking to our house and having dinner with us...next time you'll have to take the girls on your adventure...

Mrs. Nichole J. said...

:-D

Your a brave woman!


Praying you feel better! Let me know if you need anything!!!!

Rachel said...

After reading this post, I think it's safe to say that riding the bus in Pamplona is much easier than riding it in San Antonio! If you can't get the girls next time, at least take your knitting (oh, and a bus map is also very helpful).

I love your challenge to "refresh the saints" even when it requires personal sacrifice. I realize that when I'm feeling lazy about ministry, it's because I'll be inconvenienced in some (usually quite small) way. Not a fun thing to realize, but definitely a good thing to keep in mind!

Elizabeth {the Path Less Traveled} said...

Good for you!
There was a semester where I took the bus to Fresno City College - and that was the same bus line that, one or two stops later, went to the Fresno Courthouse. It was a favorite mode of transportation for people who were on their on their way to Court and had had their driver's licences taken away for criminal activity.
Imagine the conversations I heard and the people I saw!
But riding the bus DOES take time. Knitting on board is a great idea, and might be a conversation starter. :)