Sunday, March 29, 2015

some sweet reflection


Dear Mercy,

Today I'm standing in the middle of your bright green room- we're planning to paint it this month. Papi bought grey paint, just ordinary grey. Truth be told- it's hard to cover up the old paint, the vibrant green that reminds me of you, of the way you live each day. I love that about you, Mercy.

So, I'm taking down your eclectic wall decor: Audrey Hepburn next to Tintin, fashion beside a cardboard basketball jersey, pictures of kids, lots of smiling kids, and worn dusty books- Anne of Green Gables, Betsy,Tacy, and Tib (and all the sequels). Next the closets (Aye!). . .the spaces crammed with memories of people, events, photos, thrift store finds, creative pursuits: fabric, paper, paint, sequins (did I mention the shoes?) I resist the temptation to dig in, to sort, to toss- and instead I just close the closet doors. And I think about all that overflowing mixture of life and beauty that reminds me of you.

Mercy, I love that you're relational and so persistent in pursuing people- and I've watched you pursue me.
I've noticed how you're not satisfied with "cream on the top" kind of conversations with me; if I don't go deeper then you take me there. . . so curious, since I'm the one known around here for going deep! I'm thinking about our conversation over coffee awhile back when I was struggling with an issue. You made some observations that surprised me, that brought me to a new place-- and I remember your thoughtful exhortation. That day was good, Mercy- Thank you. . .

with affection always,

Mom

1 comment:

Rachel said...

aaahhh, Mercy. It's hard to find the words I think--but you've captured some of the things that make her so surprising, so delightful, to be around...

you made me cry :)