Monday, March 23, 2015

to detect the burdens of others

I've never been fingerprinted. . . that is until now. I guess a woman doesn't need a background check to mother the children she gives birth to.. .
So,  the other day I helped my friend with 3 foster children, a set of tiny twins and their 15 month old sibling.
I rocked babies, held bottles, changed diapers, wiped spills and spit up, hugged and listened to my friend's big boys. And for a spare 30 minutes I sat with my friend, feet propped up, sipping coffee, a bit of a chat--this too is mentoring.

I was doing some on-line reading the other day and came across an article about the ministry of burden bearing.
I extracted this quote for my journal:

Here is a vocation that will bring you more satisfaction then if you become a millionaire 10 times over: Develop the extraordinary skill for detecting the burdens of others and devote yourself daily to making them lighter. (John Piper)

 John and I are defining a new season of life- a season of new vocations.
Lord, help me to see the beauty of  simply bearing burdens!
I do- but I don't. . .  my vision is short sighted.
I see the obvious, plain-as-day kind of opportunities (like my sweet friend and her foster children).
I want to start today- to work at developing this extraordinary skill for detecting the burdens of others and devote myself daily to making them lighter.



"Christians must have strong shoulders and mighty bones-
sturdy enough, that is, to carry heavy burdens"

Martin Luther

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Darci- Thanks for sharing this. You are and have been a blessing and mentor to so many.

In Christ,

Ginny