Friday, February 13, 2015

good for my soul. . .

One afternoon I was peeling potatoes with my Bible open on the sink. I read Psalm 131:

Oh Lord, my heart is not lifted up; my eyes are not raised too high; I do not occupy myself with things too great and too marvelous for me, but I have calmed and quieted my soul. . .

My days have overflowed with ordinary work this month--like shopping, organizing, washing up, folding, scrubbing, chopping, baking, serving up food and repeating it all.
(And I get to do it all for dear ones!)

I know this. . . God created me to discover satisfaction in ordinary work, but sometimes I forget,  sometimes I want more. When my heart is lifted up I'm agitated with the ordinary; I desire work that seems more important, work that will be praised, recognized, work that doesn't need repeating tomorrow.

Amid so much to cherish this month, I've found pleasure in ordinary work. . .work that is good for my soul.




1 comment:

Unknown said...

I love this. Thanks for this reminder because I definitely find myself in the very same place. I'm in a season of enjoying the mundane things, like doing laundry!