Wednesday, February 18, 2015

about routine (and a bit about reproof)

I'm learning that amid a midwest snow storm, folks shovel and shovel, more than once a day.  Brett shoveled snow 3 times in a day. If my winter visits become a routine thing- I'll buy boots.

On a clear day we drove to Syracuse for an eye blink visit with Abi and Nathaniel- we encountered lots more snow; in fact one day we were out in a quiet snow storm!

 I'm learning to knock snow off my shoes before getting in the car.  And I'm learning the slipper routine. . . replacing snowy shoes with cozy slippers is the preferred routine or  one leaves puddles.
(I'll buy slippers too. . .)
 After 3 weeks I've figured out the children's snow outfit routine: first the snow pants, then the mittens, the puffy jacket, snow boots and finally the furry hat. If you do it right, then they're ready for a blizzard.


The rhythm of routine settles my heart-  our good God created us that way- and when I'm away from home, out of my normal,  then my time in God's Word sags. . . Oh, it's there, but not too deep.

As we motored through the snow, my sweet friend was traveling with her family as well. I sent her a text, "Thinking about you, how's the trip?"
My friend responded, "As usual, when I'm away from home, I struggle with finding time alone in the Word, but I was able to get up early today and everyone slept really late. . ."

Ahh, friend, I know the challenge-- 

Then she shared, ". . . everything I read today was reproving me the way I needed. God is so good--to always meet me where I am. Wish that I wouldn't need so much reproving!"

Ahh, I love this dear woman's transparency, her humility and attentiveness to God's persistent and loving reproof in his Word. I'm praying today-
"God, make my heart tender, for I know, reproofs of discipline are the way of life . . . and will you encourage my friend-

The ear that listens to life giving reproof will dwell among the wise 
Proverbs 15:31


3 comments:

Dawn said...

And the cold, dear Darcie....are you enjoying that as well?
I must admit that I look forward to spring very much. We have quite a long stretch of cold before it arrives.

Yes...you must invest in some boots if you are to continue your winter visits north.

D xo

Courtney Ward said...

Is that Ivan? So sweet!

darcie said...

Hi Dawn, yes. . .the cold, especially when I'm attempting to buckle the sweet 2 year old in his car seat and my fingers won't move! I guess people say,
" and the heat!" when they come to Texas in July!
Driving from Syracuse back to Kent, John pointed out where we would turn to come to visit you and Dave! Hopefully we can drop in the next time we're up your way!.

Courtney! much love to all of you, yes, that's sweet Ivan. We're hoping to visit you all soon in your new home!