Tuesday, October 14, 2014

their stories and more. . .

John's bike bumped up the porch at almost 6:00 PM on Thursday. He advised me in the morning, "I'll be late- I've got a mandatory faculty meeting about school policy incase of a safety threat."
And then I wondered if my husband was in lockdown. You know, sometimes the day feels endless.

I'd found remnants of his predawn breakfast . . . a crumpled wrapper from a dark chocolate bar, a mug with chocolatey dregs- I'd best feed the man. So I cooked dinner, a pasta dish with sautéed eggplant, sausage and feta cheese. And we sat on the bench at the cluttered dining room table, pushing aside papers and projects and books. How did 10 people ever fit around this board?
Dusk crept through window panes and over dinner we shared our stories from the previous day- people stories, kingdom stories.

First he told me about Juan Jose, a young fellow fresh from Mexico. Somehow he's connected with our children in Mexico City. He showed up at John's discipleship group, content to be there with men who love Jesus. And on the ride home he told John his story, "This is hard to say. . . but I trust you."

Then I told John about my new friend, a young woman who immigrated from Mexico years ago. She invited me to her home and and over coffee she shared her story. We talked about all the usual stuff  women talk about- and we talked about the gospel. I knew she would ask. . .and I was ready, pretty much ready.

"Her questions were sincere, thoughtful and I made it through in Spanish, well almost. . . Aye, I was cast upon the Lord!" I told my husband.

"Ah, I wish I'd been a mouse in the corner to hear it all," he exclaimed.

"I didn 't get it quite right in Spanish. . .the redemption thread connecting the Old and New Testaments. I need to practice- help me!" I appealed.

And he did. . .

Sometimes when I think about the next season of our lives, our retirement years, I wonder what it would be like to be retiring from a career. But no, right here is where I love to be, hearing their stories, and sharing His. . .

(Juan Jose's coming for dinner this week- he loves pozole. . . I'm sure there will be stories.)

1 comment:

Unknown said...

I love the little conversations you and popi have at the cluttered table. it's weird to think that will be Luke and me someday. sounds so quiet. but to see how the two of you are pursuing Jesus in your time of life. I love it and admire it.