Saturday, October 18, 2014

ordinary work

I'm attempting to make order from my collection of saved paper. . .words, words, words written on paper. I love paper, and even as technology strides into my life, I still reach for paper, write words with my favorite pens and pencils, still keep a paper calendar, imagine that?

I dug into a "to go through" box on the shelf and found some homemade cards. I spent an hour reading through those gems- 10 years ago a sweet friend penned this quote in her card to me:

"Ordinary work, which is what most of us do most of the time, is ordained by God
 every bit as much as is the extraordinary. All work done for God is spiritual work 
and therefore not merely a duty but a unique privilege. . .
The story is told of three women washing clothes. A passerby asked each what
 she was doing. 'Washing clothes' was the first answer. 'A bit of household drudgery' 
was the second. 'I'm mothering three children who some day will fill important and 
useful spheres in life and wash-day is a part of my grand task in caring for these 
souls who shall live forever' was the third."
(The Shaping of a Christian Home, Elisabeth Elliot)

It's pleasant to think that when I was in the thick of washing and mothering, my heart reflected that third woman's response. But truth be told, I'm sure I responded like all three. . .
But then my friend wrote that she was praying . . . " I'm praying for you this week as you embrace the 'holy privilege' of  ordinary work."

I called my friend the other day and thanked her for the card and the quote, for her prayers for me. I keep reminding myself that ordinary work is extraordinary when done for God- my work looks different now (I mean, how many clothes do I wash each week for just the 2 of us?)
And I pray for the women I know who persevere in their ordinary work for the glory of God.





1 comment:

Unknown said...

beautiful quote. and great pics, I might add. :)