Saturday, April 12, 2014

Words. . .sweet, healing

My sweet friend gave birth to her baby boy . . .and a few days ago she moved with her husband and children- to a new home far away. I jotted down some thoughts on mothering in a tiny journal book with a scrolled lavender cover and left it on the table with a note.
Friend, I will miss you. . .miss watching how the Savior continues to grow and change you into his likeness- and here's a little bit of me. . .

What is desired in a woman is her kindness (Prov 19)

My children grew up- and I wish I had been a kinder woman; in Titus 2:3-5 older women are instructed to teach younger women to be kind! We almost miss it. . .to be kind, a little word wedged in between workers at home and subject to their own husband. Just be kind. You'd think we wouldn't have to work on this one, after all, we're mothers!

 The woman in Proverbs 31 opens her mouth in wisdom and the teaching of kindness is on her tongue-
Friend, show kindness with your words. Scripture teaches that kind words are sweet to the soul and healing to the bones- words go deep. . .

Sometimes a mother is tempted to harshness or impatience when her children are weak, not mean or rebellious, just weak. . .maybe her children are sick or slow or forgetful.
Ahhh, slow, slow, slow squeezes our hearts. But then a woman can choose kindness, "I am so sorry this is hard for you, let me help you."

Friend, my children are grown up, but I'm still learning and practicing-
Kind words are sweet to the soul and healing to the bones. (Proverbs 16:24)

1 comment:

Dawn said...

Such a sweet post.
So many things come to mind after reading this.