Sunday, May 5, 2013

on the inside-

There are times when God makes me keenly aware that he continues to work, relentlessly, graciously-on the inside. . .

I struggled recently to love someone-
I appeared loving enough on the outside, no harsh words, no retaliation, no cool stares, but resentment bubbled inside me-and that is misery, indeed.

So one night, alone with John, I pleaded, " I am absolutely unloving and selfish, help me!"

His spoke good encouragement and I'm grateful- but the next day, God confronted me on the inside through his Word:

"Put on then, as God's chosen ones, compassionate hearts, kindness, 
humility, meekness and patience, bearing with one another and,
if one has a complaint against another, forgiving each other. . ."
(Colossians 3:12,13)

So- I told John, "Next time this happens (and it will), tell me this Scripture and exhort me to put on a compassionate heart and to bear. . ."

The law of Christ is the law of bearing (Galatians 6:2). The brother is a burden to the Christian precisely because he is a Christian; for the pagan the other person never becomes a burden at all; he simply sidesteps every burden that others may impose upon him. . . The Christian must bear the burden of a brother-he must suffer and endure the brother.  The law of Christ has been fulfilled at the cross. . .I can (and I must) bear with others. (Life Together, Bonhoeffer.)

3 comments:

Denise said...

What an encouragement to me it was when I read the Colossians verse... our family is memorizing Col 3:12-17 right now. We are working on 12-13 and the verses are being chanted around here all the time. Oh, my prayer is for the verse to root in our hearts, that we might do better at loving each other and being quick to forgive.

Thank you for sharing your heart. I miss you! If you are ever around, swing by for a coffee or tea! Please!

darcie said...

Thanks for the encouragement, Denise. I'm out of town for another week, but when I get home we can make a coffee date and I will share "the rest of the story"!

Denise said...

Sounds like a deal! Enjoy the rest of your trip, I will look forward to coffee! :)