Wednesday, February 13, 2013

Start, then persevere

I fussed with the words on the page under the title Discipleship.
Finally I scribbled, Start and Persevere. . .then I called my friend in California.

" Mary, remind me how it looked a dozen years ago- how did we start? What did I say to you?"

" We were in Bible study together, remember? I asked if you would meet me for coffee, and then you said, let's do it again!"

So, Mary and I began a discipleship journey more than a decade ago; initially our meetings were really messy. . .her candor stung me and I cowered.
 If Mary had announced, "Enough of this!" I would have capitulated.
But week after week we met at the same Starbucks-opened the Bible, prayed, pursued change for the glory of God, drank coffee.
I learned that growth is a gradual process; it's a battle.
And I learned to ask questions,  to listen just enough, to discern when to talk into a situation, when to push a little, when to wait. . . I'm still learning .
So, weeks and months turned into years ; Mary and I kept meeting and I grew to love her.
Then discipleship changed. . .




No comments: