Thursday, October 4, 2012

a walk in . . .

We spent 5 nights in Tetela in a rustic cabin - perfect for a family of 5 plus the grandparents.

I arrived in Mexico City with a neat row of stitches across my forehead and instructions to have the stitches removed within the next week.
 I noticed a medical office in the subway station in Mexico City, but decided to wait.  . .John offered to remove my stitches, but I decided to find a doctor.
So-one afternoon in Tetela I strolled into town and found a doctor sign next to the pharmacy in the plaza.
When I inquired in the pharmacy, the clerk called out to the street and a man, young and hip, greeted me on the sidewalk. We shook hands and I explained my situation, "How much will you charge me?" I asked.
"No worries," he said and ushered me through the small office door.
He went to work on my stitches and we talked; I learned about his family, his medical training and work in the villages, his concern for the poor.
He had almost finished the job when I noticed his medical coat hanging on the wall-white and starched, his name above the pocket.
"Ahh, Doctor Christian," I said. "Your name is significant for me since I am a Christ follower!"
"Are you a Christian?" he asked.
"Yes, and you?"
I'm devout. . .we're having a saint dedication in the plaza this evening, you should come," he invited.
"Do you read the Bible?" I asked. "Jesus was the great Physician. . ."
 "My computer is my Bible," he said.
Next door in the pharmacy I payed my bill-$3.50. . ."We don't charge much here," said the doctor.
I heard John waiting for me on the sidewalk.
 "Doctor, Jesus is the Bread of Life, the Living Water. . ."
Search for Him.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

thank you for giving him those words--not leaving it there. pursuing that conversation with him--seeing the opportunity and taking it. he may still be pondering your words today.

menewton said...

my favorite story so far