Thursday, May 3, 2012

incomplete sentences

My friend Courtney is a mother of five. . . the other day she wrote, "I wanted to email you all week but there's never enough time or quiet to think in complete sentences!"
Her comment reminded me of those days in my own life, Ahhh, for the chance to sustain a thought.
I remember my electric typewriter positioned on the table in our loft bedroom in a Mexican village-(curious how that house had electricity but no running water).
I loved that typewriter-the little machine sat holding my words and thoughts until I could return to add a word, to create a complete a sentence. . . 
Then one day I started to type words but the keys were dead, stuck.
So, I carried my little machine to a repair shop in the big city and upon examination the repair man commented, "Ma'am, I have never seen a typewriter keyboard so caked with dust, so very dirty!"
I wanted to tell him, "But I bathe my children ."
Then my husband reminded me how the dust filtered through the clay roof tiles -and into my typewriter.
"Cover your typewriter when it's not in use," said the repair man.
Cover my typewriter? but you don't understand. . .I'm completing my sentences, word by word.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

this is a great story...