Thursday, September 30, 2010

wholeheartedly His. . .

This week I began a women's Bible study, Wholeheartedly His in Difficult Times-a study on dealing with adversity from the book of Job.
"He said, 'Naked I came from my mother's womb, and naked I shall return there. The Lord gave and the Lord has taken away. Blessed be the name of the Lord." (Job 1:21)
-that's really timely for me today. . .
So-I stood beside Cheryl, sharing her song sheet.
we sang Blessed be the Name of the Lord; Cheryl underlined, "My heart will choose to say, Lord blessed be Your name"
hmmm, and I listened. . .a dozen women in my group overflowing with examples of those who have honored God in the midst of adversity.
they blessed the name of the Lord. . .
And what does it mean to be halfhearted for God?
maybe Job's wife was halfheartedly His. . . she was tempted to curse God in adversity.
I don't think I curse God (but I haven't lost 7 sons and 3 daughters in a whirlwind)
sometimes I complain and whine- a lot
And they blessed the name of the Lord. . .
"Without answers to his questions, Job quietly bowed in humble submission before his creator and admitted that God was sovereign" (MacArthur)
(I want to be like that)

2 comments:

Unknown said...

God is definitely giving you a chance to bless His name right now, isn't he? We are praying for you.

Heather Pelczar said...

I have always loved that line of that song. The choosing part. I love that the Lord challenges me to test my heart each time I hear it- I want to be like that, too. I really enjoy your thoughts, Mrs. Newton. Thank you for encouraging me to think more deeply.