Monday, September 13, 2010

more about laundry

I like laundry, you know. . .washing, drying, folding-
it's nice to smooth the rumbles, to even the corners.
Brett does his own laundry, but one day he asked me to snatch his clothes off the line in case it rained.
"Sure, laundry is what I do around here."
So, I rescued his clothes, thankful for the opportunity. . .and I learned something new about Brett -he uses cloth hankerchiefs!
my husband and sons don't. . .
Brett told me that his father always carries one.
then I thought about Rachel, soon to marry this man with a hankerchief in his pocket.
a cloth hankerchief, useful to wipe away life's smudges and drips-
chocolate, lipstick, ice-cream, coffee, dirt, tears. . .
a sweet thought.


3 comments:

Dawn said...

Good Morning, Darcie!

I had to leave a comment about hankies.
My husband has always carried one.
His thought is to have a clean hankie in case someone gets hurt and needs one.
Then there are the times he knows he will need one...like at weddings.
(You may remember Zach and Lori's wedding and his little bit of a meltdown) :)
There are specific ones for work and the pristine white ones for Sundays.
I iron them all....because I like to place the little flat squares in lower left corner of his drawer.

His dad carries hankies, too.

Our three sons? I don't think so.

Elizabeth {the Path Less Traveled} said...

:) my mom has a funny story about Dad's handkerchiefs ... but I think she should be the one to share!

She also has photos of us wearing hats that Dad knotted for us out of them on picnics or camping trips. Sweet memories.

Heather Pelczar said...

My Dad always carried one. Always white. Always available. I am smiling thinking of the many time Brett will use those for other loved ones in his life- sweet times that have not happened yet and may surprise him. :)