Monday, December 8, 2008

red cabbage, red currant jam, and a memory

I have a memory of the red cabbage my Danish grandmother would prepare for holiday meals. . . and then when she was no longer there to prepare it, red cabbage came from the store, in a jar. Year after year we passed the red cabbage, more for my grandmother's memory than because we were eager to spoon it onto our plates--although the color is lovely, bright purple.

So, this Thanksgiving I decided to search for a recipe for red cabbage-could I duplicate my grandmother's? I discovered lots of recipes for German red cabbage, a few for Norwegian red cabbage, and then. . . there it was: Danish Red Cabbage- it looked authentic:

In Denmark it is traditional to serve a cooked pickled red cabbage for Christmas Eve, a great side dish to any roast duck, turkey, or goose!
Thanksgiving day, the girls and I were cooking - no duck or goose here, but the turkey was roasting. . . and me? well, I was shredding red cabbage; my authentic recipe calls for a medium head of red cabbage, water, red currant jam, sugar, vinegar, salt-simmer with the lid on.
As I was draining some of the lovely purple juice down the sink, Mercy exclaimed, "Ugh, what's that smell?" Then I realized that it was a good kitchen smell from the recesses of my memory-and I told her, "for me, this is aThanksgiving smell from long ago!"

So, it was good-that pickled Danish Red Cabbage-both the memory and the dish.
(I wonder if the left-overs would be a tasty accompaniment to Christmas tamales?)

6 comments:

Dawn said...

I am unfamiliar with this dish...
The red cabbage has such a beautiful color to it.
My memories of my grandmother always include the smell of pot roast and the taste of snickerdoodle cookies.
She always had a cookie jar full of them!
YUM!

Rachel said...

hahaha. Mercy's comment reminded me of Nathan and Meredith teasing Aunt Beth (some years ago) about HER red cabbage dish that of course she made at Thanksgiving (and that only she -- and maybe Aunt Teri? -- ate). That was the first time I realized that this dish was part of our family heritage! So, I guess this means it'll make it into the Fortlage Family cookbook, right???
p.s. what red cabbage does for you, beans and rice does for me : )

Alyssa Joy said...

we definitely had red cabbage at our thanksgiving get together:) And it was delicious!

Abigail said...

heehee - I think I would have passed it up too, except now it has a nice story so I am tempted to have a try next time, if ever it gets passed round the Thanksgiving table!

Naomi Smith said...

If someone else will make it, I'll try it!

Jim said...

mmmmmmmmm did you run this recipe through your Mom and Beth. In reality, Beth, Billie, Teri, i think Tom, maybe Scott mmmm I don't remember if Alyssa did or not, wasn't keeping track. I passed. I would have opted for beans and rice as well as snickerdoodles.

Blessings

Jim