Tuesday, November 4, 2014

to bear her burden

Wednesday evening I stood in the luggage line at the airport- back home in America.  Next I waited in the customs line; my cell phone beeped- a call from a sweet friend.
So, once on the curb, luggage in tow, I returned my friend's call as I waited for John to come swooping by for me. It was one of those moments then. . . when the pain of a dear one takes your breath away,  pain that feels so real it's like choking.

The next morning I called my friend, "I didn't sleep much, feeling kind of dizzy with a cranky ear this morning, I'd better not drive over to your house--but I'm here, you know."

Then as an afterthought I texted her. . .

"I almost didn't tell you that I lost sleep over your suffering last night because I know you don't want to be the cause of my sleeplessness! But I decided to tell you anyway because I'm learning that God wants us to nurture a culture of mutual burdensomeness within the church. I bear your burden not because it's a duty but because I love you and because Jesus bore it all. . ."



The brother is a burden to the Christian precisely because he is a Christian.
For the pagan the other person never becomes a burden at all.
He simply sidesteps every burden that others may impose on him.

Dietrich Bonhoeffer (Life Together)

No comments: