Thursday, November 13, 2014

to choose a worthy quote

My dear friend, Lisa, invited me to join a quote club and with barely a blink, I responded, "I'm in!"
I love a good quote- succinct, memorable, worthy of conversation. . .
Our goal is to learn 52 quotes in 52 weeks!  Every 6 weeks my turn comes around to share a quote. I'll need to post my quote and its context by noon on that Friday.

 I wanted my first quote to come from Life Together by Dietrich Bonhoeffer--but how to choose??

These days God keeps nudging and convicting me to love more by listening more. I'm a pretty eager talker, you know. . . I especially notice the talking trap when I'm on a long distance phone conversation, catching up with dear ones, sometimes counseling, and when I can't catch facial cues, I just jump in and continue the talk! (have you noticed?)
With all that in mind, I decided to choose a quote from the section of Life Together titled "The ministry of listening".
And I'm looking hard at my own heart while remembering Bonhoeffer's encouragement to listen long and patiently to others, not listening with just "half an ear that presumes to know what the other person has to say."
So-I chose to share a quote with a warning last Friday, my first quote week.

"He who can no longer listen to his brother will soon be no longer listening to God either;
he will be doing nothing but prattle in the presence of God too."
                                                                                                             Dietrich Bonhoeffer

( The first line of the quote is impactful enough, but I added the second line because the idea of "prattling in the presence of God" is a frightful prospect!)




3 comments:

Dawn said...

Such a thought provoking quote. Good idea....the learning of quotes. Catching up on your blog today. Always good.

godnov said...

Love this, Darcie! And you too! :)

naomi said...

I think I need to cross-stitch that quote onto a pillow :)