Saturday, November 30, 2013

Over tea and creme brulee. . .

I will sing aloud of Your steadfast love in the morning, 
for You, my God,  have been to me a fortress and a refuge in the day of my distress.

Once upon a time I penciled the names of 2 old friends in my Bible next to Psalm 59:16-17.
My friends live on opposite coasts- they've never met, but one day they might.

 Pam lives on the west coast- she comes to San Antonio every November and we pack in a day together.
She brings gifts- San Francisco sour dough bread for John, treats for my grandchildren, an assortment of little treasures for me; we've  been friends for almost 40 years.

A few weeks ago I met Pam in Dallas. We stretched dinner over an evening and then ordered dessert. The waiter set out little white teapots and a creme brulee with 2 spoons.

"I think you haven't seen each other for a very long time." He observed, smiling.

The tea steeped and we probed, "What is God teaching you, friend?"

"Blessed are the meek. . . He's teaching me not to think more highly of  myself then I ought to think- you know, old lessons in new shoes." I said.

We sipped hot tea and dipped 2 spoons into creme brulee, in slow motion.

 "Ahh,  every morning I pray the same. . . pray and practice again and again" she revealed.


I say to every one among you not to think more highly of himself than he ought to think,
 but to think with sober judgment. Romans 12:3


No comments: