Monday, February 1, 2016

to be fruitful in little things

He has told you, O man, what is good; and what does the Lord require of you but to do justice, and to love kindness and to walk humbly with your God. (Micah 6:8)

February's door creaks open but I'm tugging, tugging, not quite ready for its dawn  . . . you see, I'm just not sure how the myriad of opportunities and obligations will weave together in 2016. And fear threatens to slip through the cracks.

Heart, remember,  do justice, love kindness, walk humbly. . .

God, show me how to love you, to love people-  Make me fruitful!

The other day I received the dearest email from my new friend-

I've been wanting to write to you all day, but wordlessly. . . I'm not sure if you know what I mean- when there's a big ball of communication that wants to escape but it's nebulous and indistinct. . . urgent but wordless.

Finally this evening the words came together: Thank you. . .it's fun how few words it took to express that big urgent, wordless ball! Thank you for loving me, for being my friend, for listening when I needed an ear. . .
And thanks for showing me the way God made broccoli grow! Of all the things we've 
talked about the last few months, that has been the most influential, the most helpful, Really!

So- I remember the afternoon my friend dropped by impromptu as I weeded the vegetable garden,

"Look, friend, how amazing the way God made broccoli!"

February marches forward whether I have my life and my desire for fruitfulness all figured out or not-
Maybe you'll come to my house for coffee this month or next, maybe our conversation will be all about broccoli - and that will be good enough. . . do justice, love kindness, walk humbly with your God.




1 comment:

Leah said...

Hi Darcie! It’s been a long time... I think I saw you last at Abi’s wedding. I was reminded that you have this sweet and encouraging blog. I just wanted to say hello and that I hope you and yours are doing well in Christ. Leah Hildreth