Saturday, June 27, 2015

emotions like knitted cables

I'm a productive knitter when John drives on road trips, but mostly I'm a meandering, sporadic knitter. A few weeks ago I unraveled a stale project and began knitting a small blue sweater with textured seed stitch and twisted cables- Ahh, smooth, lovely cotton/rayon yarn! If I'm an undistracted knitter, then the cables twist perfectly, but if not, then I rip and redo.
My emotions are like knitted cables, weaving appropriately through the seed stitch of my life, but sometimes my emotions are like tangled cables. I'm taking inventory of the past week. . . .


Joy- This week John turned 66 years old; we celebrated his day with our grandchildren at the  children's museum. He loved it!  My husband describes himself. . . an old man who rides his bicycle like the wind!

Longing- This week my sweet friend moved away, far away. Sometimes God blesses us with an uncommon friendship-  then we exclaim, "Thank you God! this friendship is from you!" My friend is  gone from sight and there's a hole. . .

Pleasure- This week I've been looking at tutorials-  how to make a wedding veil.  Mercy will marry Samuel in August. . . lots of emotion but mainly pleasure!

Uncertainty- This week there were moments when my life seemed undefined. . . . How do I do this new season? Every day I tell myself (as I readily remind others), "Heart, you are in Christ." And day after day I fight to bring truth close, truth that remembers my identity is in Christ.

Delight- This week I got a text from Anna, "Mrs. Newton, is this you? Are you in town, I've missed you!" Ahh, the delight of an unexpected coffee with this sweet girl. Anna's mother is in heaven-- and I'm certain she would delight her mother's heart.

Disappointment- This week I've asked myself, "Heart, why are you disappointed?" Unraveling the event of disappointment from the emotion, I'm pursuing good fruit, "Lord, I want my emotion to grow in the soil of love and faith, producing contentment and gracious forbearance- and Lord, I need you!"

Sadness and Wonder- Last week Elisabeth Elliot went to heaven- even though we never met she impacted my life over decades. She taught me to embrace biblical womanhood, to find satisfaction and beauty in my role.  I still hear her words:
Let God be God. . . in acceptance there is peace. . . Trust God and obey Him! 
So, on the day Elisabeth Elliot died I had a good cry for the wonder of a life lived well and a Savior worshiped.


 So, I wonder- how can a mountain of emotion crowd into one soul in a gathering of days? These good emotions are a gift from the God who created me in his image, reminding me that I'm alive! I'm all too aware of the tangles but ever grateful He's at hand, always.

2 comments:

Dawn said...

I was also sad to hear of Elizabeth Elliot's passing.

Knitted cables....oh, if only I could just master the purl stitch. I would be happy to just make a simple raglan sleeve sweater for my grands.

A wedding in August! How delightful! Our oldest granddaughter is to be wed NEXT August in New Brunswick. Looking forward to that. LOVE weddings.

Sorry that your friend moved. I know that you have no shortage of dear ones to encourage. Your friends are blessed to have you in their lives.

Happy summer days, my friend.

Unknown said...

This was such a beautiful post. I love how you categorized it and how you are deeply reminding yourself of truth. As I'm in a lull emotionally it seems I'm feeling far from stirred in much of anything, and I'm praying to just Be in Jesus and ponder Him contentedly. You are a treasure! I love you!