Friday, December 2, 2011

cranberries and cake. . .

Cranberry Coffee Cake is a favorite family-20 years ago I cut the recipe from a magazine. . .
last week when the family came for the holiday, I pulled the cranberries out of the freezer and made the cake. As is the custom, we ate it for breakfast and throughout the day-til only the rich crumbs remain on the plate.

Rich Cranberry Coffee Cake

1 (8 oz) package cream cheese, softened
1 cup butter
1 1/2 cups sugar
1 1/2 tsp vanilla
4 eggs
2 cups flour
1 1/2 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp salt
2 cups fresh or frozen cranberries (I add a little extra) mixed with 1/4 cup flour
In a mixing bowl, beat cream cheese, butter, sugar and vanilla until smooth. Add eggs, one at a time, mixing well after each addition. Combine dry ingredients and gradually add to butter mixture. mix 1/4 cup flour with whole cranberries; fold into batter (it will be very thick). Spoon batter into 10-inch fluted tube pan, greased and floured. Bake at 350 for 65 minutes (I check after 55 minutes) or until cake tests done. Let stand 5 minutes before removing from the pan. Cool on a wire reack and dust with powdered sugar.

(I still bake this cake in a cast iron bundt pan with chipped orange enamel on the outside-a wedding present; it's tradition.)

5 comments:

Abigail said...

too funny! we posted about the same delicious cake...I like the tip about adding the extra flour mixed in with the cranberries. I will try next time.

naomi said...

oh great! you AND Abi have to go and post this amazing recipe . . . and I live in a cranberry-less country!

Jane said...

Oooh, this looks so wonderful and I will certainly look forward to trying it! I can picture your orange chipped bundt pan Darcie, and I imagine it is very well seasoned with love! Would LOVE to sit and have a cup of coffee and some cranberry cake with my friend Darcie!

Unknown said...

definitely making this soon...been craving it. I might even put it in mini loaf pans and deliver to the neighbors...oh but I'm getting ahead of myself.

Sarah S. said...

I have had such great results using your recipes. Your blueberry buckle and this cranberry cake have become staples. I have made them in multiples to bring in to work and they are always such a hit, and on special occasions with family. Thank you so much!